Wednesday, 12. March 2014 - 09:03
10. 05. 12. - 17:00
The Austrian capital’s art trade will be marking the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt’s birth in style. A series of special events in 2012 will pay tribute to the artist, who was a leading light in the Vienna Secession movement and a pioneer of modernism.
It is not just Vienna's museums that will be celebrating this major Gustav Klimt milestone with special exhibitions during the Klimt anniversary year.
A nine-strong group of the city's leading art dealers and gallery owners have joined forces to explore and shed light on the myriad of traces that Klimt left in his home city. From March to December 2012 the individual galleries will be mounting exhibitions covering different aspects of his work.
The idea is not just to look at Klimt's collected works in isolation, but to place it in its socio-political context and determine its influence on artistic output during the Wiener Moderne, or Viennese Modern Age.
Led by Gustav Klimt, the Viennese Secession movement and the Wiener Werkstätte came to symbolise an era which would have a profound impact on artistic developments far beyond Austria's boarders and to this day is widely referred to as the Golden Age.
• Galerie bei der Albertina - Zetter, Gustav Klimt - Sketches. Lobkowitzplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.galerie-albertina.at
• Kovacek Spiegelgasse, Spring 2012 - The Klimt Year. Spiegelgasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek.at
• Galerie Kovacek & Zetter, Gustav Klimt and the art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek-zetter.at
• Wienerroither & Kohlbacher, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka. Strauchgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.austrianfineart.com
• bel etage Kunsthandel, Klimt and the Wiener Werkstätte. Mahlerstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.beletage.com
• Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Gustav Klimt and his Time. Akademiestrasse 1, 1010 Vienna, www.gieseundschweiger.at
• Galerie Johannes Faber, Vintage Classical and Modern Photography. Dorotheergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.jmcfaber.at
• Galerie Ruberl, Arnulf Rainer Paints Over Gustav Klimt. Himmelpfortgasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.ruberl.at
• Kunsthandel Patrick Kovacs, Viennese Interiors in Klimt's Day. Rechte Wienzeile 31, 1040 Vienna, www.patrick-kovacs.at
Amy Winehouse exhibition in Vienna
Personal items belonging to late musician Amy Winehouse will be going on show in Vienna this week, as part of an exhibition designed in collaboration with her brother Alex Winehouse.
American youth orchestras play free concerts in Austria
A free concert from an American youth orchestra is taking place in the Mozarteum in Salzburg this Friday 28 March.
Victorias Secret could open soon in Vienna
A job posting on the website of the Vienna International Airport in Schwechat has fuelled rumours that Austria might be getting it's very first Victoria's Secret store.
Fashion students graduate with style
Last Saturday the fashion students from Vienna’s A-College held a fashion show for their graduating class at the MGC Modecenter.
English graffiti artists arrested in Austria
Austrian police say they have caught an internationally active graffiti artist from the UK together with three pals who now face up to 5 years in jail and a bill for thousands for the clean up work.
'Carnival of Languages' in Vienna
A "Carnival of Languages" is being put on in Vienna in March to celebrate the third birthday of the language centre Eton Institute in the city.
Irish banker in Austria with two wives
An Irish banker who worked for the World Bank in Vienna is being investigated by Austrian police after he was found to have two wives and children with both when he died suddenly, apparently of a natural death.
Police stop people carrier with 42 Romanians inside
Austrian police who stopped a people carrier licensed for nine people found it carrying a total of 42 people from Romania.
Austrian Relieved To Only be Dead On Paper
Austrian man Christian Kozel, 29, discovered he was dead when uniformed police officers turned up at his home in Salzburg at the weekend.
What is on at Burg Kino this week (7 March - 13 March)
See what films are on this week at the Burg Kino on the Opernring.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Irish banker in Austria with two wives|
|Austrian Airlines spellcheck mishap|
|Austrian Relieved To Only be Dead On Paper|
|Air China to fly to Spain via Vienna|
|McDonalds boom in Austria|