Wednesday, 23. April 2014 - 08:04
10. 05. 12. - 17:00
The Austrian capital’s art trade will be marking the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt’s birth in style. A series of special events in 2012 will pay tribute to the artist, who was a leading light in the Vienna Secession movement and a pioneer of modernism.
It is not just Vienna's museums that will be celebrating this major Gustav Klimt milestone with special exhibitions during the Klimt anniversary year.
A nine-strong group of the city's leading art dealers and gallery owners have joined forces to explore and shed light on the myriad of traces that Klimt left in his home city. From March to December 2012 the individual galleries will be mounting exhibitions covering different aspects of his work.
The idea is not just to look at Klimt's collected works in isolation, but to place it in its socio-political context and determine its influence on artistic output during the Wiener Moderne, or Viennese Modern Age.
Led by Gustav Klimt, the Viennese Secession movement and the Wiener Werkstätte came to symbolise an era which would have a profound impact on artistic developments far beyond Austria's boarders and to this day is widely referred to as the Golden Age.
• Galerie bei der Albertina - Zetter, Gustav Klimt - Sketches. Lobkowitzplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.galerie-albertina.at
• Kovacek Spiegelgasse, Spring 2012 - The Klimt Year. Spiegelgasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek.at
• Galerie Kovacek & Zetter, Gustav Klimt and the art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek-zetter.at
• Wienerroither & Kohlbacher, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka. Strauchgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.austrianfineart.com
• bel etage Kunsthandel, Klimt and the Wiener Werkstätte. Mahlerstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.beletage.com
• Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Gustav Klimt and his Time. Akademiestrasse 1, 1010 Vienna, www.gieseundschweiger.at
• Galerie Johannes Faber, Vintage Classical and Modern Photography. Dorotheergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.jmcfaber.at
• Galerie Ruberl, Arnulf Rainer Paints Over Gustav Klimt. Himmelpfortgasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.ruberl.at
• Kunsthandel Patrick Kovacs, Viennese Interiors in Klimt's Day. Rechte Wienzeile 31, 1040 Vienna, www.patrick-kovacs.at
Julius Meinl expands to UK
Austria's prestigious coffee brand Julius Meinl is launching its famous product in the UK, with the hope of challenging the British culture of taking coffee to go.
Wiener Linien grinds to a temporary halt Wednesday morning
Vienna's public transport will grind to a halt between 4 am and 6.30am on Wednesday morning as unions hold an emergency meetings to discuss the safety of Wiener Linien staff.
Vienna to host fashion awards
Since 2009, the Vienna Awards for Fashion and Lifestyle has played a big role in the Austrian fashion scene and has evolved itself into one of the country's most important events in the industry to date.
Austrian architecture in the 20th Century
The Architecture centre in Vienna is opening the third stage of it's long term exhibition looking at Austrian 20th and 21st Century architecture.
Criminal caught after asking police if he should be arrested
A criminal who thought he had got away with four counts of embezzlement and fraud managed to alert police to his crimes after he walked into a police station to ask if there was an arrest warrant out on him.
Pink Easter bunny helps Vienna art world pay tribute to Dürer
The Viennese art world has created its own version of the Easter Bunny – by making a giant sized sculpture of the famous Albrecht Dürer painting currently on display until 29 June as part of the exhibition "Dürer, Michelangelo, Rubens"
Property price rise continues
The price of property in Vienna has now spiralled so much that every 4th apartment comes with a price tag of 500,000 or more. And every second flat costs 300,000 or more.
Jetflyers Take The Jet Ski Onto The Road
An Austrian company is making waves after they came up with the idea of taking a jet ski – and fitting it with wheels.
Exploring photography and art through 1960s cult film Blow-Up
Vienna's Albertina is putting on an photography exhibition featuring stills from the cult sixties photography film Blow-Up by Michelangelo Antonioni.
Turtle flies from Vienna to India to try his luck with the ladies
An endangered turtle from Schoenbrunn Zoo is taking a trip across the world to try his luck out with two female turtles in India.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Property price rise continues|
|Wiener Linien grinds to a temporary halt Wednesday morning|
|Turtle flies from Vienna to India to try his luck with the ladies|
|Pink Easter bunny helps Vienna art world pay tribute to Dürer|
|Exploring photography and art through 1960s cult film Blow-Up|