Thursday, 05. December 2013 - 07:12
10. 05. 12. - 17:00
The Austrian capital’s art trade will be marking the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt’s birth in style. A series of special events in 2012 will pay tribute to the artist, who was a leading light in the Vienna Secession movement and a pioneer of modernism.
It is not just Vienna's museums that will be celebrating this major Gustav Klimt milestone with special exhibitions during the Klimt anniversary year.
A nine-strong group of the city's leading art dealers and gallery owners have joined forces to explore and shed light on the myriad of traces that Klimt left in his home city. From March to December 2012 the individual galleries will be mounting exhibitions covering different aspects of his work.
The idea is not just to look at Klimt's collected works in isolation, but to place it in its socio-political context and determine its influence on artistic output during the Wiener Moderne, or Viennese Modern Age.
Led by Gustav Klimt, the Viennese Secession movement and the Wiener Werkstätte came to symbolise an era which would have a profound impact on artistic developments far beyond Austria's boarders and to this day is widely referred to as the Golden Age.
• Galerie bei der Albertina - Zetter, Gustav Klimt - Sketches. Lobkowitzplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.galerie-albertina.at
• Kovacek Spiegelgasse, Spring 2012 - The Klimt Year. Spiegelgasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek.at
• Galerie Kovacek & Zetter, Gustav Klimt and the art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek-zetter.at
• Wienerroither & Kohlbacher, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka. Strauchgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.austrianfineart.com
• bel etage Kunsthandel, Klimt and the Wiener Werkstätte. Mahlerstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.beletage.com
• Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Gustav Klimt and his Time. Akademiestrasse 1, 1010 Vienna, www.gieseundschweiger.at
• Galerie Johannes Faber, Vintage Classical and Modern Photography. Dorotheergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.jmcfaber.at
• Galerie Ruberl, Arnulf Rainer Paints Over Gustav Klimt. Himmelpfortgasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.ruberl.at
• Kunsthandel Patrick Kovacs, Viennese Interiors in Klimt's Day. Rechte Wienzeile 31, 1040 Vienna, www.patrick-kovacs.at
Austria sees biggest increase in property prices in Europe
Property in Austria has seen the highest rate of price growth in Europe since the Lehman brothers bank crashed, throwing the region and other countries housing markets into an economic downturn.
Acclaimed comedy show comes to Vienna
Vienna's English Theatre in the eighth district of the city is putting on two new shows in the new year, including one that may help to chase any post-Christmas blues away.
Iran nuclear meeting to be held in Vienna
Representatives from Iran, six mediators, and members of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) are meeting in Vienna in December to discuss an agreement made last month regarding Iranian uranium.
Austria paving the way in air traffic control
Austria has taken a step forward in the move to unify Europe's air traffic control systems by implementing the latest software from the Co-operation of Air Navigation Service providers (COOPANS).
Talks with China begin on high-speed railway from Vienna to Black Sea
Talks have begun with Chinese partners about the construction of a 'European corridor' that will connect Vienna to the Black Sea port of Constanta in Romania.
What´s on at the Burg Kino cinema this week (6 December – 12 December)
The following films are on at the English language Burg Kino cinema on the Opernring between November 6th and December 12th. From December the 5th to December the 8th Burg Kino will host the “Festival des Russischen Films”.
Vienna takes over New York for 3 week cultural festival
Vienna is taking over New York early next year with a three week celebration of Viennese music and culture, featuring more than ninety events across the US city.
Win daily prizes with Viennas travelling Santa
The Vienna Tourist Board is holding a competition in collaboration with the city's 'travelling' Santa Claus, with prizes available every day in December leading up to Christmas.
Unemployment rises by 10.8 per cent in comparison to November 2012
Unemployment in Austria rose significantly in November once again.
Bank Austria Admits Former CEO Being Investigated Over Madoff Fraud
Embattled Bank Austria has admitted it's former Chief Executive Gerhard Randa is being investigated over ties to convicted fraudster Bernie Madoff.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Bank Austria Admits Former CEO Being Investigated Over Madoff Fraud|
|Skull collection from Austrian anatomist available for "adoption"|
|Three days of musical festivities over New Year in Vienna|
|Settlement puts an end to scandal between Vienna art museum and former director|
|Win daily prizes with Viennas travelling Santa|