Thursday, 12. December 2013 - 15:12
10. 05. 12. - 17:00
The Austrian capital’s art trade will be marking the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt’s birth in style. A series of special events in 2012 will pay tribute to the artist, who was a leading light in the Vienna Secession movement and a pioneer of modernism.
It is not just Vienna's museums that will be celebrating this major Gustav Klimt milestone with special exhibitions during the Klimt anniversary year.
A nine-strong group of the city's leading art dealers and gallery owners have joined forces to explore and shed light on the myriad of traces that Klimt left in his home city. From March to December 2012 the individual galleries will be mounting exhibitions covering different aspects of his work.
The idea is not just to look at Klimt's collected works in isolation, but to place it in its socio-political context and determine its influence on artistic output during the Wiener Moderne, or Viennese Modern Age.
Led by Gustav Klimt, the Viennese Secession movement and the Wiener Werkstätte came to symbolise an era which would have a profound impact on artistic developments far beyond Austria's boarders and to this day is widely referred to as the Golden Age.
• Galerie bei der Albertina - Zetter, Gustav Klimt - Sketches. Lobkowitzplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.galerie-albertina.at
• Kovacek Spiegelgasse, Spring 2012 - The Klimt Year. Spiegelgasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek.at
• Galerie Kovacek & Zetter, Gustav Klimt and the art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek-zetter.at
• Wienerroither & Kohlbacher, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka. Strauchgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.austrianfineart.com
• bel etage Kunsthandel, Klimt and the Wiener Werkstätte. Mahlerstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.beletage.com
• Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Gustav Klimt and his Time. Akademiestrasse 1, 1010 Vienna, www.gieseundschweiger.at
• Galerie Johannes Faber, Vintage Classical and Modern Photography. Dorotheergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.jmcfaber.at
• Galerie Ruberl, Arnulf Rainer Paints Over Gustav Klimt. Himmelpfortgasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.ruberl.at
• Kunsthandel Patrick Kovacs, Viennese Interiors in Klimt's Day. Rechte Wienzeile 31, 1040 Vienna, www.patrick-kovacs.at
(will be approved by an editor before going online)
ORF wins right to broadcast UEFA League from 2015
National broadcaster ORF has confirmed that they have won the right to broadcast UEFA Champions League games in the 2015/16 to 2017/18 season.
Medieval troublemakers to be featured at Early Music festival
Music from composers from the Baroque and Middle Ages will be performed as part of an Early Music festival taking place in Vienna between 18 – 26 January next year.
New international bar opens in Vienna
A bar in the ninth district is breathing new life into an once popular but now forgotten Vienna location.
Austria Vienna thrash Zenit with a 4-1 victory
Austria Vienna FC put up a strong performance last night against Zenit St Petersburg with a 4-1 victory over the Russian side infront of homefans in the stadium in Vienna.
Talks over Iran nuclear programme progress in Vienna
Talks in Vienna over the terms of a interim agreement about Iran's nuclear programme are not expected to produce a start date for the country's six month pause on activity.
A win against Austria Vienna could put Zenit through to next round
A win against Austria Vienna tomorrow could see Zenit St Petersburg through to the next stage of the UEFA Championship League.
What´s on at the Burg Kino cinema this week (13 December – 19 December)
The following films are on at the English language Burg Kino cinema on the Opernring between November 13th and December 19th.
Mayor resigns after anti-Semitic remarks
A mayor in Austria who called for journalists to be hanged because 'they are like the Jews' has resigned from his post running the village of Gfohl.
Final chance to see Elisabeth musical in Vienna
It's the last chance for musical fans to catch the renowned Austrian musical about the story of 19th century Empress Sisi as it enters the final few months of performances in Vienna.
World Record Breaking Ski World Record Attempt
The Austrian capital already holds many records, often voted the city with the best quality of life in the world, or being the only capital city with vineyards in the city limits - but not many people know it's also the only capital city to offer a traditional mountain skiing experience in the city limits.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Finissage for Outsider in a Box by Dwora Fried|
|Bank Austria launches investigation into leaked data|
|Semmering Zauberberg Opens This Weekend|
|Mayor resigns after anti-Semitic remarks|
|Meeting over oil production level held in Vienna|